This course provides an overview of an adult coronary artery bypass grafting surgery including an anatomy review of the heart and vascular system, nursing care for the patient, the role of the perioperative RN, and an example of the workflow. In order to better anticipate patient and colleagues’ needs, it is important for the perioperative RN to be acquainted with standard as well as newer techniques, potential complications, and possible interventions.
- Identify common indications for an adult to undergo coronary artery bypass grafting (CABG) surgery
- Describe the possible procedural variations in adult CABG surgery
- Identify potential complications and appropriate responses
- Describe the intraoperative positioning considerations for an adult who requires CABG surgery
- Identify the equipment necessary to prepare the OR for an adult CABG procedure
- Apply safe perioperative practices when caring for adult patients who are undergoing a CABG surgery
- Establish collaborative partnerships with professionals along the patient’s continuum of care