The learner will have the knowledge and confidence to implement the evidence-based and recommendations from the AORN Guideline for Preoperative Patient Skin Antisepsis, including preoperative patient bathing; hair removal; proper selection and application of skin antiseptics; fire risk assessment, and safe handling, storage, and disposal of skin antiseptic agents.
Upon completion of this module, the participant should be able to:
- Identify current protocols for preoperative patient bathing.
- Identify the clinical considerations related to preoperative hair management.
- Identify key factors for the appropriate selection of skin antiseptics.
- Identify proper application procedures for various skin antiseptics.
- Identify safe handling guidelines for skin antiseptic agents.