The learner will have the knowledge and confidence to actively participate in implementation of the evidence-based and recommended practices from the AORN Guideline for Positioning the Patient to assess the patient’s risk factors for potential injury during positioning, identify the potential injuries related to improper positioning, differentiate safe practices for handling and positioning for common surgical positions, proper selection of positioning devices, and proper positioning of special populations.
Upon completion of this module, the participant should be able to:
- Identify patient risk factors for potential injury during positioning.
- Identify potential injuries related to improper positioning.
- Differentiate safe practices for handling and positioning patients in common surgical positions.
- Identify proper selection and use of various positioning devices and related equipment.
- Identify considerations for proper positioning of special patient populations.