The learner will have the knowledge to confidently implement evidenced-based practices and recommendations from the AORN Guideline for Transmission-Based Precautions, including standard and transmission-based precautions (ie, contact, droplet, airborne); personal protective equipment; bloodborne pathogens; immunization; and activities of health care workers with infections, exudative lesions, and nonintact skin.
Upon completion of this module, the participant should be able to:
- Define standard precautions.
- Identify the appropriate use of personal protective equipment (PPE).
- Differentiate the clinical considerations related to contact, droplet, and airborne precautions.
- Identify key elements of the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) Bloodborne Pathogens standard.
- Identify appropriate strategies for the activities of health care workers with infections, exudative lesions, and nonintact skin.
- Identify processes for personnel immunizations.